Sunday, January 19, 2014

An answer to a question & a day of rest

Today I am taking a day of rest so I will answer a question I was asked by Pattie Wall about how I get the colors in the background to sing: I think it is the paint itself, I'm using gouache acryl in just the main colors they make, usually for the background I just use it straight out of the tube with water, sometimes it takes 2 to 3 coats to make it even. I think it is also using just mainly color crayon colors too. I'm really gravitating more and more to this style. I'm enjoying just basic color crayon colors, which I have always loved using. I do add some white to some of the other colors, to lighten them and some black to the darken the blues. I think I may plan on trying this with straight acrylics to see how they go. Back to painting tomorrow!

1 comment:

Pattie Wall said...

Thanks - those straight out of the tube/jar colors would be fun to use, but you use them well. It seems like a new style for you, who have always been sort of soft and transparenty. Good for you!